We all know that having fitness/movement in our lives is important. There are so many benefits when we make time for it.. Today, lets not talk about all of the benefits, but of how we WILL fit it into our lives on a regular basis.
I know it can seem daunting or even unrealistic because we feel, and are very busy. Here are a few ideas that have worked for me and maybe one might hit the nail on the head with you.
1. Take a moment and map out your day. What hours do you work, when do you go to bed. Find a little bit of time in there for some exercise. It's in there. Believe me, I have tried to convince myself that I am just way too busy! There is always a little time somewhere in the day. Even if its just a good stretch before bed.
2. Set your sites a little lower than you feel is "normal". If you feel you want to work out for an hour, then shoot for 20 minutes instead. You can get a nice HITT workout in, or walk in the fresh air. You can even split up the 20 minutes into two sessions of 10. What matters is that you get up and do it. Your body may love it and crave more. And maybe, just maybe you'll find even more time to dedicate to yourself.
3. Find a friend. I love working out with people. There is something about chatting that makes the time just fly. Healthy and fun - bonus!
4. Take your workout gear with you to the office and plan your route home to pass by the gym. Grab a quick workout before you even get home. You will feel so good you got it done and then you can sit back and relax the rest of the night.
5. Find something fun, that you enjoy. Exercise is not all about running or lifting weights. One thing I always keep in my schedule is dance. Dancing makes me happy! What do you love?
6. Set a timer on your phone or your watch. Getting a reminder to move is helpful. Maybe all you have time for each time it goes off is to do a flight of stairs up and back - or even just 20 squats. Be creative.
You don't need to be an athlete to move! We have been blessed with bodies that just know how to move on their own. Whether we are running, walking, swimming, or having a dance party in our basement by ourselves - we just need to move. Give yourself some love and make movement a priority in your life.
Wife, mom and Health Coach. Lover of life and learning. (and my dog Steve)